Situation Normal. Atmosphere Breathable. Brainstem Injected. Dialogue Engaged.
stg-roadrunner-gfx
Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Breathe Part One



“No. Just no. Don’t you remember what the landlord said last time? He said we’d be evicted, he’d keep all out money, fuck our credit, and rape our mothers. Maybe not that last part. But you heard him. No. More. Parties. That’s final.”

“Steve, I don’t have a venue. My reputation will be destroyed. I have to throw this party.”

“Okay, fine. But no massive speakers, and limit it to forty people. I just busted my ass all day long moving couches and desks and beds and bookcases. I moved in today. I’m not getting thrown out tomorrow.”

“We need to have speakers. This is a rave. You know that. But I’ll keep it down, I promise. No louder than your Friday night Wilco.”

“My Friday night drunk music blasts from speakers that are one foot tall. Yours are almost as tall as me. There’s no comparison. Not even close. That’s like comparing a minnow to the Loch Ness Monster.”

Everything went straight to hell. Between 10pm and 3am I went to the DJ booth and turned down the volume every ten or fifteen minutes, compulsively, like a horny farmer fucking a barndoor knothole. I made enemies. I deflected scowls. People said things to me:

“You’re being paranoid, Steve.”
“You’re a controlling asshole and you’re gonna ruin this party.”
“Stop stressing so much. There’s nothing you can do about it.”
“We can barely hear the music. What’s your fucking problem, anyways?”

I never wanted that goddamn party in my house, that’s my goddamn problem.

A neighbor complained. He jabbed his index finger into my chest while steam hissed from his ears and his eyes rolled up in his head. I calmed him, returned to my teeming abode, and continued my fascist assault on the decibel levels. Yet every time I stopped babysitting the current DJ, he cranked up the knobs. The neighbor complained again. I buttered him up and promised to hold it down better than I had before. I was sweating, angry, and terrified. 100 people were in my home, all of them cheering, hollering, and having fun. They talked over the music, the music played over them, back and forth, over and over, an accelerating oscillation of garbled volume.

The other neighbors got involved. They didn’t complain to me. They called the dreaded landlord. He called his building manager, the aforementioned neighbor who’d been kind enough to warn me twice before.

I’d tried to shut the party down at 3am. I told my party happy roommate “Every minute that passes, even at this same volume level, our shittiness to our neighbors triples in offensiveness. The rest of the world is silent right now. We are the only noise. They CAN hear us, very much so, and they are getting PISSED OFF. The music must be turned off at 3. Do you understand?”

“No.”

“You told me you’d turn it down at 1. You failed. I’ve been going Nazi on the amp every five fucking minutes for what feels like eternity. All your DJs want to cut me open stem to stern and watch my guts steam. You’re fucking this up. You’re putting me and our other two roommates in jeopardy. You’re putting MY livelihood at risk. To add insult to fuckery, to prevent me from protecting my residence, you’re complimenting me for trying to be responsible about the noise just to shut me up. It’s like patting a little kid on the head and telling him to run along and play. It’s condescending. You’re a dumb thoughtless selfish fucking prick.”

Then he got mad at me. I started really shouting, cursing out a nice big hateful display of screaming and spittle for all the drugged out hippies to gasp and gawk at.

At 3:30 the roommate went to argue with the neighbor/building manager. He had the nerve to accuse the neighbor of being unreasonable. They shouted at one another in the foyer. I seized the opportunity.

I turned on all the lights and beelined for the DJ booth. "Sorry man, but I gotta kill your set. Scuse me."

I turned off all the gear.

"EVERYBODY! ATTENTION PLEASE! I HOPE YOU HAD A GOOD TIME! SORRY TO END THIS BUT THE PARTY IS OVER. THE LANDLORD HAS CALLED AND WILL HAVE THE POLICE CALLED IN TEN MINUTES IF I DON'T HAVE YOU OUT. SO! GET! THE! FUCK! OUT! NNNNOOOOWWWW!"

That ripped my throat up.

That awful Saturday night was far from ending. My bad day was only beginning to go sour.

I had an absolutely horrible weekend, and I still don't feel human yet. I'll finish exorcisizing it later this week.
3:15 PM - Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm

3 Comments:

April 11, 2006 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa. That sounds fucked up man. There's nothing worse than a party where you have to be the responsible one. Hope it worked out OK for you!

 
April 11, 2006 10:06 PM, Blogger hijacked frequencies said...

damn. sorry it worked out like that.

 
April 12, 2006 10:30 AM, Blogger Kerouaced said...

Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. I think I might have lost it in that situation. That really sucks...

 

Post a Comment

left-arrow Home

stg-shark
Fuck Everything
Dive Bars and Profanity
Fecal Flaunting
Just A Peep
Shameless Promotion
Bear Scare
The Last Gasp Part One
Palais du Hammersmeeth
Magellan's Pants
Hold The Ketchup
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
August 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
February 2008
May 2008
August 2008
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
December 2009
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
August 2010
August 2011
September 2011
February 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
October 2012
November 2012
May 2013
August 2013
September 2013
December 2013
May 2014
October 2014
November 2014
December 2016