Situation Normal. Atmosphere Breathable. Brainstem Injected. Dialogue Engaged.
stg-roadrunner-gfx
Friday, June 03, 2005

I Eat With a Blender And A Funnel

You know me. I'm always picking up garbage so I can smell it for foreign substances. I carry around a marker to leave secret signals on bus stop benches and light poles. I'm always trying to track down scraps of evidence to prove an unlikely conspiracy. My secondary purpose in life is raising the threshold of public enlightenment by using commonplace flotsam as interlocking puzzle pieces in my bizarre collage of colliding juxtapositions.

So I march onwards with my reverse bifurcation of the mundane, creating dichotomies where no relation previously entwined the newly enjoined vicitms of my staple gun. Let's make a strange connection. Join me.

All for revelation. I do this to help people.

First off, drug advertisements. You've seen, heard, or read commercials for hundreds of different drugs over the past five years. Some of them never even stated their purpose. As a result, people everywhere are flocking to physicians to ask if Trimentholitis is right for them. Hypodermic needles aren't just for heroin junkies anymore. Now you can freebase Minoxodil by injecting it under your eyelid and a forest of hair will sprout instantly somewhere on your lumpy body. Use it enough and you might get lucky and grow a few atop your head.

For the longest time, federal law required pharmecutical ads to inform you that side effects may include rectal bleeding, projectile vomiting, skin peeling, eyeball shrivelling, leprosy, and halitosis. Unfortunately people weren't begging for unnecessary prescriptions at a fast enough clip to satisfy the stockowners.

More hypnotized zombies were needed to increase consumption and boost profits. What could the FDA do to help our drug manufacturers sell more idiot pills to bovine America? Change the ad restrictions! Now I never hear about side effects including hysteria, intestinal blockage, leaky liver, exploding spleen, or dry mouth. Instead the commercials conclude with "See our ad in Ladies Home Journal."

I heard one this morning that said "See our ad in Wal-Mart magazine!" Holy shit. Now I have to buy my drugs in bulk discount? I guess that's cool if they come with an automated delivery system that will shoot the capsules up my ass while I sleep. I'll just sleep with my ass prone in the air. When my prescription happy pill is launched I'll stop snoring from my ass and start snoring from my mouth. I'll need another pill for that.

Secondly. The new Fruit and Walnut Salad at McDonald's. I believe this is the first menu item to be suggested for both breakfast and dinner. You can order it anytime. Not only is this tray of perky garbage supposedly healthy, but it purports to deliver a buzz to the eater.

Personally, I enjoy catching a buzz from drinking and drugging. Not from my dinner. (unless we're talking turkey here) This new entree crosses that line. Not only will the fruit walnut tray cause euphoria, but it will also impair my judgement. The ad I heard on the radio this morning portrayed a woman telling her stylist to surprise her with a new haircut. The other be-curlered matrons shreiked in shock and dismay. What could she be thinking? Is she drunk? Crazy? Gossip abounds.

At this point I'm going to take a few liberties with the gossip dialogue. This is important because it allows me to portray what I think the ad wanted to say but couldn't due to FCC decency restrictions.

"I'll bet Beatrice skipped church this morning to go to McDonalds!"

"Goodness yes! I think she nibbles those walnuts in a restroom stall while she jams her vibrator through her pantyhose and whiffs Krylon. All at the same time by golly!"

"That would take three hands! She must save the paint for dessert."

"What a horrible mother. I hope Sheila gives her a terrible new hairdo."

"Me too. That bitch deserves it."

(When they all leave each of them separately sneaks to McDonalds' for their own guilt and salad orgies)

The critical point here is this: these chemical slathered crones are showing us that eating a fruit and walnut salad is a guilty pleasure like chocolate, ice cream, or masturbating in department store try-on rooms.

I reject this. I say Mcdonald's is the guilty party here, not the consumer. I say Ronald McDonald is a deranged clown, a drug dealer standing under the arches, hollering to the passers by:

"Catch the nut buzz my chillens! This shit will straight fuck you up, Joe! Limited time only, mothafucka!"

I reiterate: McDonalds' is the bad guy here, not you the consumer, not their character Beatrice. Bea is an unsuspecting victim, a hapless consumer drawn in by the promise of low carbs, natural fructose, vitamin C, and beverages improved by Splenda.

When the confusing mixture of subliminal messages succeed and the customer's self-esteem fractures, they can move in for kill. Instead of fruit, they'll sell you McNuggets while you're in the dumps and looking to indulge yourself. Then you'll feel the need to eat healthy, and the vicous circle will begin anew.

That is, unless you can find the willpower to break the cycle of drive-through addiction.

Don't worry! GlaxoSmithKline is developing a pill that will give you the willpower to resist the McSalads. A diet pill, an appetite reducer. You'll need another pill from Baxter to counter the side effects of clammy skin and bleeding tear-ducts from the first pill, but at least you'll be able to resist the siren call of McChickens and Big Macs.

Eventually McDonald's will get wise and fight back, and they'll start their own pharmecutical branch to put addictive additives in their food. That way nobody will be able to resist.

Wait a minute. The buzz in the fruit and walnut salads! They're already drugging people! There's a war for possession of the consumer bloodstream underway here. We're just rats with money.

Make sure you have good insurance.
8:21 AM - Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm

20 Comments:

June 03, 2005 9:29 AM, Blogger P/O said...

brilliant!

 
June 03, 2005 10:11 AM, Blogger Kerouaced said...

Damn that was good. You had me laughing out loud...not that it was funny, Argus.

 
June 03, 2005 10:30 AM, Blogger Dave Morris said...

Fucking hell. I can never look at another salad of any kind without laughing at the memory of your elocutious spew.* Dammit!!!




*it's a compliment.

 
June 03, 2005 10:55 AM, Blogger Saucy Monk said...

isn't ordering a salad from McDonald's a little like looking for a decent blow job at a Buddhist monastery?

 
June 03, 2005 11:11 AM, Blogger Caroline said...

I personally love the male enhancement drug commercials that seem to have subliminal messages. I guess thats what happens when you haven't been approved by the FDA.

 
June 03, 2005 12:07 PM, Blogger Other Brother said...

Fuck the FDA. Fuck 'em right in the neck.

 
June 03, 2005 1:04 PM, Blogger Lance Manion said...

I used to work at Pfizer. You'd be amazed how close to the truth you really are...

 
June 03, 2005 1:14 PM, Blogger Isabella said...

yeah. i didn't actually read this as funny, i read it and thought,"he prefaced this by making himself sound crazy? this is one of the sanest, most clear-sighted views throug the opacity of marketing and advertising manipulation i've ever heard."

You really do rock. I would be willing to get drunk with you.

 
June 03, 2005 2:37 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You just do this stuff to get over how much you miss the National Hockey League, right? You really miss knuckle sandwiches that much?

 
June 03, 2005 2:42 PM, Blogger Wino McHackenpuke said...

Kerouaced, are your replies here the work of some computer program you've crafted? Because each one is remarkably similar.

"Damn that was good. You had me laughing out loud."

"Nice! Some good images in there - I could visualize it perfectly."

"Funny as hell! Some good images/phrases."

...and so forth.

 
June 03, 2005 4:43 PM, Blogger Isabella said...

Whereas yours have nothing to do with the post.

again, we see the infinite wisdom of the poh-tay-toe poh-tawt-oh song. Will its brilliance ever be repeated?

 
June 03, 2005 5:57 PM, Blogger You've Got What I Need... said...

psst... i hear they're behind the s-kort, as well. pass it on.

 
June 04, 2005 2:11 PM, Blogger Lostinspace said...

send me over that diet pill. oh wait. and the other one too.

 
June 05, 2005 12:20 PM, Blogger Cindy-Lou said...

Where can I get in on that guilt and salad orgie?

 
June 05, 2005 1:42 PM, Blogger Kerouaced said...

Puke, my comments are purposely and generally brief and to the point. Sometimes I do write longer responses as I am doing now but often I like to sum things up without trying to step into the writer's limelight. I enjoy Steve's writing and I don't think he needs me to expound extensively upon the various merits of it every time I read a piece. The thing with Argus is good humored ribbing if you are reacting to that in a negative way. -Kerouaced

 
June 05, 2005 3:12 PM, Blogger Blake said...

My favorite is the old man boner commercial where they insinuate that by throwing the football through the tire, said old man with erectile dysfunction is now getting ample blood flow to his hog and boning like a 37 year old.

Blake

 
June 05, 2005 5:10 PM, Blogger Cindy-Lou said...

Ty, you need me to cut someone for you?

 
June 05, 2005 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention how that damned salad makes you talk like the valley girl i put up with daily.

Like, totally... a fruit buuuzzz. I am so totally serious. Oh my god.

I love the views on drugs. Being a pharmacologist (in training) makes me skeptical of everything. Knowing the real facts on that stuff makes you wonder why people pay that much for it... or their insurance as the case may be. I guess that makes Evil Ronald responsible for the rising costs of health care too. Damn.

 
June 06, 2005 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait. Maybe I misheard you? Misunderstood you? Maybe you were mislead? It sounded like you said McDonald's might someday get its own pharmaceutical branch. As in it hasn't got one already... That can't be right, can it? I mean, I just assumed. Ronnie's got a hand in every other pie. I just figured he had a lot more than just a hand in that one.

 
July 27, 2005 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, THAT was fucking Brilliant! Funniest thing i have heard all day!

 

Post a Comment

left-arrow Home

stg-shark
Familus Horribilus
Robots Of Trichobezoar
Squirrels With Attitudes
Chorizo Abortion Spackle
My Worst Summer
Calcium Deposits
One Nun's Frustration
Euthanasia, Cremation, Scattering
Palsy Parade
Geographic Confluence
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
August 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
February 2008
May 2008
August 2008
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
December 2009
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
August 2010
August 2011
September 2011
February 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
October 2012
November 2012
May 2013
August 2013
September 2013
December 2013
May 2014
October 2014
November 2014
December 2016