Situation Normal. Atmosphere Breathable. Brainstem Injected. Dialogue Engaged.
stg-roadrunner-gfx
Thursday, January 27, 2005

Ballads About Food

Immediately upon arriving at work yesterday I was dispatched to go help install cameras and registers at a McDonald's on the west side of Chicago. There was a Jamaican guy that owns an electrical company there supervising his employees, and he told me to go eat at McCarty's. Translated sans rasta that means MacArthur's.

I'd never had soul food before. They had liver & onions, neck bones, cube steak, different kinds of chicken, black eyed peas, red beans and rice, collared greens, and a whole bunch of other stuff. All of it was slathered in grease. The hot sauce was thin and looked like sweet and sour at first, but in reality it was the heavy vinegar base that gave it that appearance. Awesome and cheap.

I'll definitely return for more very soon. I don't care if I'm the only whiteboy within a five mile radius and the other customers look at me like I must've gotten lost. The food is just spectacularly great tasting.

Some of the food made me wonder. What exactly are collared greens? I looked up recipes online and all them just have a quantity of greens. It looked like spinach. Can I just go trim the hedges outside and make collared greens? Do I need to wear some leaves in a collared shirt for a day, and then cook them in ten sticks of butter? Somebody help. I feel like an ignorant fool. I'm sure the answer will amaze me as much as the time I discovered the oven can be pulled away from the wall for cleaning purposes.

And what about neck bones? I've found several recipes for pig necks. At first the notion sounds vile. But haven't you ever wanted to suck marrow? I sure have. Sadly, upon perusing these recipes the idea seems to be the same as my ham soup, which is boil and strip, strain stock and combine. There's no mention or instruction for removing bone marrow and turning it into a hot jelly spread. Or for stuffing it in wontons. I'll have to be a pioneer combining Afro-American soul food with Chinese if that dream is ever to be realized. Anyhow, I think I'll boil some necks tomorrow. Tonight I'm doing cajun.

I'm going from a Chef Boyardee guy to an accomplished multicultural autodidactic chef rather quickly. Well, I might, best not get ahead of myself. I haven't accomplished anything on those offensive t-shirts yet.

Well, now I have to go learn what exactly is done to make pig's feet and ox tongue not only edible but delicious. I also must learn just what the fuck a chitterling is.

Tomorrow I'm going to some nightclub for free vodka drinks from 10-11pm. A friend sent me an email consisting of "CLUB BOOBIES VODKA BOOBIES FRIDAY CLUB BOOBIES VODKA."

Well, okay.
1:25 PM - Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm

7 Comments:

January 27, 2005 2:52 PM, Blogger Stace said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
January 27, 2005 3:05 PM, Blogger Stace said...

Yep so I gave you the "other" address on ACCIDENT, seriously. So once again I had to change the honesty blog address, but hey this gives you a new insight into who I am, enjoy, comment and let me know your around.

As for the deleted comment, I thought it would delete the entire thing including my name. BOY WAS I WRONG.

The food I have no idea what you are talking about, so good luck with that
The internship is for medical assisting
VODKA+boobies= good stuff

 
January 27, 2005 3:59 PM, Blogger Stace said...

Yeah I didn't think you would rat me out, nor do I think anyone would that has gotten ahold of both, but you are right, I have to feel "safe" when I vent b/c I know EVERYONE would be upset, hurt, or just plain pissed off. But thanks for checking me out. ;-)

 
January 27, 2005 9:09 PM, Blogger Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

Chitterlings aka chitlins are pig intestines. Sometimes pig stomachs, too. A 10 pound bucket must be cleaned leaving about 5 or less pounds. Cleaned of fat and half digested shit. There is a certain recipe that must be followed. While cooking they smell... terrible. During slavery the blacks had to make do with the remainders of the pig, and they created this, which over the centuries has become an African American delicacy. Due to the effort required to prepare them, many cooks are unwilling to share them with outsiders and keep them for close family members. A massive amount of chitlins will be eaten in 20 minutes.

A friend at work has an aunt who makes them during the holidays, and he'll try to hijack a plate for me. I'm already salivating. I'm honored that he'll try to get me some.

 
January 28, 2005 7:52 AM, Blogger Shana said...

Saw your comments on Kae's page. . .and decided to check you out. I must say I was thoroughly entertained. I'm glad you enjoyed your discovery of soul food. . . lol. . .just remember that just because they say it's good for your SOUL doesn't mean that it's good for your HEART. . .lol. . . it can become really unhealthy if consumed in great amounts. . . lmao

 
January 28, 2005 9:01 AM, Blogger ManNMotion said...

ROFL dude you are killin me over here!

 
January 28, 2005 9:32 AM, Blogger P/O said...

there's a soul food place down the street from where i work (not to mention that i used to live in bed-stuy, which outside of harlem is like nyc's second soul food mecca) and it's always cracked me up how even all the vegetables are loaded with meat. the place near my office offers a "vegetarian special," which essentially consists of three vegetable side dishes that i'm sure are "vegetables" in name only.

 

Post a Comment

left-arrow Home

stg-shark
One Utopian's Assorted Marginalia
Bad Recipes
Of Mice And Vegetables
Dogs In A Blender
Packaged Rebellion
Crumbling Smokestacks
Paul For Mayor
The Horse I Rode In On
Fencepost Chode Indentations
Sorry Chuck
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
August 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
February 2008
May 2008
August 2008
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
December 2009
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
August 2010
August 2011
September 2011
February 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
October 2012
November 2012
May 2013
August 2013
September 2013
December 2013
May 2014
October 2014
November 2014
December 2016