Situation Normal. Atmosphere Breathable. Brainstem Injected. Dialogue Engaged.
stg-roadrunner-gfx
Monday, November 14, 2005

Addiction Fiction Part Three



Torrents of rabid rodents overtook me. They didn't pause to notice the latest obstacle before them was moving in the same direction, was breathing, or that it was covered in fecal war paint. They didn't notice, that is, until I freaked out and tried to swipe them off my body.

The effort was futile. For every crimson eyed turd factory I knocked away, seven clawed onto me, using my clothing, hair, and skin for purchase. Rats have claws. Little claws, but claws nonetheless. They slipped through my skin and hooked around capillaries, tugging them out, speckling me with blood welts.

I thought I'd freaked out when they first reached me. As their numbers swelled, I lost my composure even further. I abandoned my quest to leave the tunnel, and to remove them from my blood speckled body, choosing instead to attack as many rodents as possible. I tore one from me and squeezed it until its entrails exploded from its anus. I screamed with feral joy. I smashed another against the concrete, collapsing its fragile skull. It sounded like an egg cracking. I bit another that had the gall to traipse across my lips. It rewarded me with a high quiet tiny little scream. I spat him out and laughed. I have to admit, I was enjoying myself.

I always thought rats were cutthroat vagabond pirates. You know, mammalian mercenaries, with no allegiance to each other. Every rat for itself. Cut granny's throat for a stale anchovy. Mean little bastards.

As it turns out, there exists within rat society the concepts of solidarity, teamwork, and perhaps even love. Maybe it's just some sort of genetic preservation instinct. I don't know. What I can tell you with certainty is this: when threatened, they can and will ally together. In unison they'll assault the threat upon their peers' safety.

That's what they did. They stopped fleeing the rising tide of brackish sewage to nibble me to death. Smart little fuckers went straight for my eyes. Sadly, the thin little membranes known as lids offered little protection from their needletip incisors. I managed to swat them off for a few moments, but once they found their way into my poopy pants, all I could do was whip my head to and fro to protect my eyes. My hands were busy with more important matters: I thrust them into my shorts in an effort to save my flaccid penis and my tender testicles. I was in trouble.

What can I say? They got me. They got me good. Sure, I took a few with me, but that's hardly a consolation. Killing a few rats isn't exactly much to brag about in the afterlife. Like, say, genocide, war crimes, or engineering biological weapons. No trumpeted fanfare awaited me, nor any army of tortured souls crooning with glee at my arrival, all victims fallen at my hands.

Oh yeah, the concrete tunnel. And the rats. Well, there isn't much left to tell about that. Once I lost my eyesight, I know there was a lot of flailing, wailing, and convulsing. Bleeding, too. They took crumb sized pieces of me, one morsel at a time, I suppose, until I died or the stormwater rose too high for them and they were washed away. Hell, maybe the water killed me instead of the rats. I can't say for sure. It's all a blur, and then darkness. The last thing I smelled was shit. I wish it was cocaine. I wonder if they found that.

To be continued. (Yes, really.)
7:25 PM - Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm

6 Comments:

November 14, 2005 8:39 PM, Blogger Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

Okay, kids. I'll have your votes, please. True, I'll probably ignore them all, but vote anyways. It's your civic duty.

What avenue should this story take next?

1. Adventures Of A Bloated Corpse
2. Marauding Rats On Cocaine
3. Steve In The Afterlife
4. Other (Please Specify)

 
November 15, 2005 1:05 AM, Blogger Lostinspace said...

Your "fecal war paint" description was fabulous.

My vote is on "Maruading Rats on Cocaine," because we really can't get enough of that.

Hey, are you publishing this elsewhere besides your blog? It's like a generous plate of creativity that should be served to the masses.

 
November 15, 2005 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like the "adventures of a bloated corpse" idea. However, there could've been some radio-active shit in the sewer, that mixed with the nose candy, and made Steve a Zombie King of the Sewer-Rat World.

 
November 15, 2005 2:29 PM, Blogger Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

LiS, Nope, not really. I went on a submission spree back in August, landed two short stories, and stopped after that. I'm not really in the mood to seek pub right now. I'm just trying to write.

 
November 16, 2005 10:13 AM, Blogger Kerouaced said...

Is this an anti-drug story? Does Nancy Regean come and kill the rats like Rambo?

 
November 16, 2005 12:34 PM, Blogger Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

Steve, that's an excellent idea. I could have Nancy with the red headband and Barbara with a pearl lasso (or whip) fighting off hordes of rodents.

Nope, not an anti-drug story. I don't moralize. Shit just happens in my tale tellings.

I love cocaine, but I never buy $150 worth. Little baggies here and there, and not too often.

 

Post a Comment

left-arrow Home

stg-shark
Addiction Fiction Part Two
Addiction Fiction Part One
Electronic Kleenex
Black And Silver Swoop Part Three
Black And Silver Swoop Part Two
Black And Silver Swoop Part One
Fucking Hostile
Painfully Ignorant
Our Modern Parlance
Marketing Molestation
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
August 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
February 2008
May 2008
August 2008
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
December 2009
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
August 2010
August 2011
September 2011
February 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
October 2012
November 2012
May 2013
August 2013
September 2013
December 2013
May 2014
October 2014
November 2014
December 2016