Situation Normal. Atmosphere Breathable. Brainstem Injected. Dialogue Engaged.
stg-roadrunner-gfx
Monday, July 11, 2005

Dead Letter Shrapnel - Kurt

I have decided to write and mail letters from dead people to my friends. They are not aware that I have decided to embark upon this mischievous quest. Unfortunately, they'll figure it out rather quickly. Hopefully they'll join in and suggest new victims.

In some cases, the dead people will be deceased rock stars. In some cases, historical figures. In others, random folks I find on the obituary page. My former roomie is a big Nirvana fan, so he gets the first one. I have a book of really pleasant floral stamps I'm using to mail these.

Return Address:
Kurt Cobain
Heaven

Addressee:
Patrick *******
**** * ******* *** *** **
Chicago, IL *****

Dear Patrick,

Hey. It's me. Kurt. I'm sitting here in heaven strumming a Danelectro Hodad guitar. It's a weird one. When Krist and I used to get drunk, I'd play his drums while he played this. We sounded awful. It was great. Anyways, I'm just dead and relaxing. Retirement is very pleasant. No sales numbers, tour squabbles, or video shoots. Still, heaven isn't quite what I expected. Instead of fluffy clouds and angels with halos, it's more like a long street full of coffeeshops. People huddle in dim cozy rooms with torn furniture, rocking chairs, and old pianos. They play checkers, listen to music, and recite mediocre poetry. It's a lot like Seattle, except it never rains.

I miss being alive. A little. But mostly not. The thing I like best is there's no pressure here. People are just "Hey Kurt" instead of "Kurt, Floyd The Barber changed my life" or "Negative Creep is me exactly!" or "Kurt, I'm gonna be just like you one day!" So it's a lot smoother here in heaven. I guess.

The reason I'm writing is a little complicated. You see, we can watch living people from up here. You're all on our televisions. If we want. Not only can I snoop in on your life, but I can watch what you see, too. I know it's gonna sound weird, but I like hanging out in your front room. I like all the plants, cats, and sunlight. It reminds me of my grandmother's house, but in a good way.

Even though I'm dead, I still sit around all lethargic and mopey. I guess it's just my personality. Kind of like you, except you're social and cheerful. I guess not like you at all really. Anyhow. The point I was gonna make was that I like watching horror movies with you. Even the bad ones. Sitting there smoking a pipe and sinking into your couch is nice and sleepy.

I'll tell you a secret. When I'm watching them with you, sometimes I pretend I'm the guy with the chainsaw, and the dumb kid getting chased is Courtney. You know? I wanted to bring her with me. A shotgun has two barrels you know. But I had to leave somebody to take care of Frances Bean, and that coked up whore I married was the only one to do it. She is the mother, so I guess I made an okay choice. Maybe. We'll see.

I never watch Courtney from up here. I hate that cunt. But my dear Frances I love so much. I wish I could say hello to her, but they've got pretty strict rules up here, believe it or not. No haunting family.

Most of the time I just haunt strangers. I don't do any of that spooky bullshit like making your air cold or rattling your windows. I just hang out, watch movies, and pretend I'm stoned on heroin. I never really wanted to be famous. Hanging out in your joint makes me feel kinda regular. Like a normal guy. Which I like.

So thanks man. Have a great life. I'll be around. You just won't know it. But I will be.

Keep rockin, fuckin, and screamin.

Your friend,

11:58 AM - Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm

13 Comments:

July 11, 2005 12:27 PM, Blogger Floyd said...

Might I suggest perhaps signing off with "Rock out with your cock out!"....just a thought.

 
July 11, 2005 12:42 PM, Blogger Alecia said...

I'm sorry I'm not one of your friends. I'd love to get a letter from the dead. I don't get letters from the living, so one from the dead would rock.

PS - thanks for the comment to my blog. you rock.

A

 
July 11, 2005 1:42 PM, Blogger alix said...

DIABOLICAL!
i LOVE it!

 
July 11, 2005 1:55 PM, Blogger Kerouaced said...

Your imagination is blooming like some strange flower in the center of a nuclear reactor. Awesome...

 
July 11, 2005 2:02 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

"Kind of like you except...not like you at all really." This, of course, makes perfect sense to me, who is always positive/negative in the same sentence.

 
July 11, 2005 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome as always!!

Mag

 
July 11, 2005 3:11 PM, Blogger Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

Thanks all!

Alecia, who's your favorite dead person?

Sis, I got plenty more coming. I'm halfway done with a Bob Marley letter to Noah right now. If I finish today it'll be up by 5.I don't think you know Noah.

Too bad Neil Diamond still breathes, or I'd write one to Mom.

 
July 11, 2005 3:37 PM, Blogger Pseudo-intellectual lunatic said...

good blog

 
July 11, 2005 6:21 PM, Blogger Blake said...

I'd like to see you write a letter from Jonathan Brandis (Sea Quest/Neverending Story kid who killed himself in '03). I only suggest it because you could make really lame rockers/celebrities/historical figures sound really interesting as well, because that is what you do. This is great.

Blake

 
July 11, 2005 10:48 PM, Blogger Alecia said...

BR - yo mofo...I'll have to think on this one. My favorite dead person...hmm..

I'll so get back to you on that.

In the meantime, I have to say that Blake's idea about Johnanthan Brandis would be awesome...wasn't he the one that played in LadyBugs? hahahaha

 
July 11, 2005 10:48 PM, Blogger Alecia said...

hi..spell much? *Johnathan

 
July 11, 2005 10:57 PM, Blogger Alecia said...

Okay WAIT - I think I have it. I think it'd rock to get a letter from William Shakespeare...how would he talk? Would he say, "how dost thou fair lady goeth?" (haha) or would he be evolved over time in heaven and say things like, "Yo biotch, what up sugah? Can I tap that?" ...it'd be interesting to see...

peace, A

 
July 12, 2005 9:12 PM, Blogger if_i_had_a_hammer said...

floyd the barber totally did change my life.

well done.

 

Post a Comment

left-arrow Home

stg-shark
Galactic Bio-Electrical Chemistry
Can Of Corn
The Accidental Taxidermist Part Three
The Accidental Taxidermist Part Two
The Accidental Taxidermist Part One
Trepanning The Obese
Biology And Frosting
Lazy On The Grill
I Brake For Fresh Roadkill
Trench Warfare
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
August 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
February 2008
May 2008
August 2008
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
December 2009
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
August 2010
August 2011
September 2011
February 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
October 2012
November 2012
May 2013
August 2013
September 2013
December 2013
May 2014
October 2014
November 2014
December 2016